Adam Curry is on stage right now. He’s absolutely correct. I’m in a room with 300 people and with very few exceptions, everyone has a laptop. Nearly everyone has a digital still or video camera. I’ve never heard of anything like this. Everyone here is blogging the event and those who aren’t here can listen to a live webcast. It’s really an amazing, and odd, place to be.
- Dave Winer is much taller than I’d expected.
- Adam Curry isn’t as tall as I’d expected
- Chris Pirillo is about as tall as I’d expected
- Dan Gillmor gave me a nice bit of encouragement
- The place is crawling with “A-list” bloggers and podcasters
- Cameras everywhere
- The wifi is fast but uses the same IP range as my corporate WAN, making VPN connections something I’ve yet to work out
- The Google trucker hat was a nice touch
- My URL got left off my name badge somehow but I’ll fix that myself
- Parking isn’t bad
Gotta go into the office for a few hours today then it’s off to Seattle for Gnomedex. What is Gnomdex? It’s a geek-fest the covers pretty much whatever is happening now or will be happening soon in the online world. This year it’s going to be about RSS, podcasting, citizen journalism, micropublishing, and more. This looks like the one to attend, too. Microsoft is poised to make some announcements at the show, as is Audible. Plus, there’s the added bonus of being in the same room with both Adam Curry and Dave Winer. I’m not sure if their personal falling-out and subsequent public arguments have helped our hurt podcasting but it will certainly be interesting to see them in the same room.